Orbital ATK Sr Principal Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer in Plymouth, Minnesota
Sr Principal Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer
Categories: Engineering and Sciences
Start a new job search
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Sr. Principal Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer
Our Missile Products Division in Plymouth, MN has an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer whose duties and required experience are described below.
As a Mechanical Fuze Design Engineer in the Missile Products Division, your responsibilities will be as a technical subject matter expert and team leader on various fuze development programs, and to provide design support to fuze programs already in production. You will work with other engineers, technicians, program managers and administrative personnel to accomplish your objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Key technical contributor and subject matter expert in the area of mechanical fuzing on development programs, managing assigned responsibilities and directing the work of other engineers, technicians, and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
- Programs can include bomb fuzes, artillery fuzes, mortar fuzes, missile fuzes, and fuzes associated with other delivery platforms.
• Conduct design trade studies to select the best possible design solution, taking into account factors including, but not limited to, system performance and functionality, material selection, strength, weight, packaging, manufacturability and cost.
• Three dimensional mechanical modeling (CAD - computer aided design).
• Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews and in written technical reports.
• Management of cost and schedule for assigned projects.
• Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Responsible for the design, fabrication and testing of fuze components and assemblies.
• Responsible for the analysis of the fuze design to meet functional requirements (structural integrity, thermal protection, environmental protection, etc.)
• Compilation and analysis of test data with comparison to estimated performance predictions.
• Provide design support to fuze programs that are in the production phase.
• BS in Engineering is required, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace.
• Ten or more years of related military fuze mechanical design experience.
• Strong computer aided design (CAD) skills, preferably with PTC Creo (Pro-E) or SOLIDWORKS.
• Possess a strong understanding of finite element analysis codes such as ANSYS or ABAQUS for structural analysis and thermal analysis of designs.
• Strong mechanical skills and exposure to ANSI Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
• Knowledge of associated fuze component manufacturing processes is desired to including, but not limited to, machining, additive manufacturing, die casting and injection molding.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment directing the work of others.
• Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
• Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
• Ability to travel (approximately 8 to 12 times per year to meet with customers and suppliers).
• Security regulations require that the individual must be a U.S. citizen and must have the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance to a level of SECRET.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type:Full Time
Desired Travel:less than 25%
Years of Experience:5-8 Years