Orbital ATK Pr. Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, Virginia
Pr. Mechanical Engineer
Categories: Engineering and Sciences
Start a new job search
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
OrbitalATK.com Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility integrate, test, and launch state-of-the-art geosynchronous satellites, low-Earth-orbit science and technology spacecraft, International Space Station vehicles, and a host of other orbit technologies. We build cool things!
· No design work; manufacturing production environment where Engineers coordinate system-level builds and empower touch-labor Technicians. Daily interfacing with Program managers, Functional supervisors, and other disciplines like Elec/RF/QA is required, so good communication skills under occasionally stressful situations is essential.
· Hands-on work around extremely fragile space product installations and modifications.
· Detailed technical knowledge in manufacturing including interpreting complex engineering drawings, schematics, and diagrams. Works with Design Engs to review pre-release drawings and provides feedback to miniminze design impacts on downstream manufacturability.
· 100% adherence to established ISO processes, diligence to detail, and efficient execution with quality results for cost effectiveness absolutely required. Suggests and evaluates Process Improvement ideas. Continously strives for cost/schedule reductions at project level.
· Ability to learn quickly. Bonding, taping, torquing, etc. with delicate honeycomb composite/aluminum panels and aluminum brackets a minimum. Must have "a touch" for delicate equipment. Must have virtually zero defects in workmanship.
· Ability to proactively identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and offer solutions to engineering for review. Works independently with QA on difficult/challenging solutions and projects from Engineering.
· Ability to work with diverse team, take constructive feedback from Safety and QA support personnel, and understudy with assigned mentor for up to 3 months is required.
· Responsible and evaluated for performance metrics with heavy emphasis on the Product Line's overall quality of work, efficiency, and process improvements. Proactively helps improve the team's performance in numerous disciplines.
· Experience with working inside Clean Rooms, Hazardous Material Handling, Hazardous Operations protocols, and related operational protocols required.
· Knowledge of basic 3D Modeling, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, general computer handling, and Tool Control helpful but not required. ESD, FOD, and 5S management techniques strongly recommended. TipQA, Windchill, MES, Costpoint, and CREOView preferred.
· Knowledge of advanced machine shop principles helpful. Little to no machine shop work is done by I&T Engs, but interfacing with Machine Dept. required on occasion.
· Ability to teach and constructively critique new hires required. Occasional assignments of a mentee for up to 9 months required.
· Ability to foresee and communicate broader project level tasks beyond daytoday assignments with Estimates To Completes. Helps plan lookaheads and avoid pitfalls with projects and its leadership. Participates in complex nonconformance resolutions.
· Helps manage tactical floor operations, including resource loading, priorities, and communication with numerous project/program teams.
· Focus for this level is cost efficient execution of the mechanical team through process improvements and solutions. All operations require a "Buddy system" for checks and balances.
Second/third shift 24/7, weekend work, and occasional 4+weeks travel on launch campaigns (international travel) are required of everyone. Occasional shortterm projects with travel required. A rotating off-shift coverage allows Engineers to plan ahead up to 3 months, but last minute requests are common to support the dynamic schedules seen in I&T.
Position requires Bachelor's Degree and seven years experience.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type:Full Time
Desired Travel:less than 25%
Years of Experience:5-8 Years